This is a family business established by Wendelin Elchinger (1809 - 1895) in 1834 in Soufflenheim, in the Alsace region of France. Production was initially domestic utility ware, moving to garden ornaments from the 1870's. Leon Elchinger (1871-1942) developed the art pottery production, particularly fired stoneware during the early 1900's, in the Art Nouveau and Art Déco style.
Fernand Elchinger (1911-1975) took over the factory in 1936, modernising production methods and making the factory the leading producer in Europe. The pottery was hugely successful during the 1950's and 60's in part due to the rise in notoriety and popularity of Vallauris, and its decorative items were much appreciated, quality being consistently good (unlike some in Vallauris). From 1975 the factory was run by Marc Elchinger (b.1946) producing mostly high quality tableware and creating lines by international designers. Marc's son Thibaut Elchinger (b.1984) now also runs the company.