Jean de Lespinasse was born in 1896 in the Cotes d'Armor region in the town of Bréhat. After the Second World War, during which he was a member of the Resistance in the South of France, he opened a studio in Nice. Working with his wife, he sold his work through several shops and fairs. Items are signed JdL and are sometimes numbered as these formed part of the catalogue he used to sell with. His work is varied and often very decorative. He used both moulds and turning techniques. He died in 1979.