The Faiencerie de St Jean de Bretagne opened its doors in 1943. Decorative painters numbered more than half the staff and all patterns were handpainted. In 1951 the company opened a new factory. Local clay was replaced by white faience. Decoration was inspired by Breton and Celtic motifs using bright colours. Each item was marked with the pattern number and the initials of the decorator. The company was very successful right up to its closure in 1989 after a fire.