This town on the French Riviera, has been known for the manufacture of pottery since early times. In recent times it experienced a sort of renaissance which was started in the 1930's by a group of people who included Jean Gerbino, Suzanne Douly and her husband Georges Ramie and Andre Baud - all experienced potters, who set up in the town. The rebirth continued with the arrival in 1948 of Pablo Picasso, a magnet for other artists and celebrities. The 1950's was a period of major creativity in the town and numerous studios were in production. The work produced ranged from high quality studio ware to Kitsch tourist items for the local market. This boom ended towards the end of the 1970's, although there are still nearly 70 potters currently active in the area.