This German factory was founded in 1814 Hohenburg by Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther. "Betrieb Porzellanfabrik CM Hutschenreuther AG" was one of the first privately owned porcelain factories in Germany.
Carolus Magnus Hutschenreuther was a porcelain painter, who had previously worked at the Wallendorf Factory. The factory produced porcelain in an industrial manner right from the start. After his death, his widow and children took over the running of the factory.
Lorenz Hutschenreuther (LH), one of his six children, opened his own factory in Selb in 1857, naming it "Herstellerwerk Lorenz Hutschenreuther". LH presented his products at the Leipziger Fair, and the orders poured in. Almost instantly the factory won fame. Lorenz Hutschenreuther retired in 1877 and his sons Viktor (VH) and Eugen (EH) took over.
Based on a dispute of inheritance following the fathers death in 1845, when Lorenz, although capable and willing, did not inherit the factory, the two family factories worked totally independantly and were fierce rivals. In 1969 the two family factories were finally united, when Lorenz Hutschenreuther AG bought the controlling interest in Porzellanfabrik C.M. Hutschenreuther in Hohenberg. The company was re-named Hutschenreuther AG. In connection with the 125th anniversary of Lorenz Hutschenreuther in 1982, "The Museum of German Porcelain Industry" was opened in Hohenberg.
The Hutschenreuther Group was bought by Rosenthal in August 2000. Today, the major shareholder in Rosenthal is the Waterford Wedgwood Consortium. Production has always been of excellent quality and the company was known for table services, figurines, decorative items.