Founded in 1894 as Rheinische Broncegieserei für Kleinplastikenin Cologne-Ehrenfeld by Wilhelm Ferdinand Hubert Schmitz (1863-1939). The factory made luxury items using ORIVIT metal (89.85% pewter, 7.9% antimony,1.9% copper and 12% silver). In 1900 the factory changed its name to ORIVIT –AG fur Kunsthandwerkliche Metalwarenfabrikation. In 1901-02 they built a new factory in Köln- Braunfels and began with a revolutionary new press- the Huber-Presverfahren.
The factory won a number of prizes: Gold medal at the world exhibition 1900 in Paris, Industrial Design Exhibition in Düsseldorf 1902 and in St Louis 1904 -2 Grand Prix prizes and 1 gold medal.
In 1905 the company was sold to Württembergische Metalwaren Fabrik (WMF).They produced items with the name ORIVIT until 1914.
The designers at ORIVIT were: Hermann Gradl (1869-1934),Georg Grasegger, Walter Scherf (1875- 1909), Vicor Heinrich Seifert, Johann Cristian Kroner (1838-1911), Georges Charles Couldray and Theo Blum.