The Strehla Factory, founded in 1828, took its name from the town in Saxony, Germany where the company began. Its production was varied, being both utilitarian and decorative. After the 2nd World War, the region became East Germany and was under Communist rule from the 1950s to the 1980s. The company continued production and was known as VEB Sachsen, Steingutfabrik Strehla. VEB stands for Volkseigener Betrieb (State owned/the People's Company/Business).
The work produced by Strehla and other companies in East Germany such as VEB Haldensleben, tended to be more conservative than that of the West. Strehla's output was characterised in the late 60s and 70s by decoration using a tube-lined lava glaze which was added by hand. Most pieces are marked with an ink stamped "Strehla" and have a model number impressed to the base. Items are harder to find in Germany than West German goods, perhaps as much of the production was exported. The quality of items produced during the 1950s deteriorated during the 60s and onwards. The company closed in 1989.