This factory was opened in 1938 in Halden Norway by Arnold Wiig and his brother in law Albert Larsson. The original name was Herreby, but the company was asked by the Museum of Applied Art in Oslo in 1949 to change the name to avoid confusion with Herrebøefabrikken. William Knutzen was appointed artistic director. In 1966 Arnold left the company after it was taken over. AWF was very successful during the early years in the production of Flower Pots. The company's share of the Norwegian market was big. During the 1950s the company employed a number of talented decorators. These included:- William Knutzen, Hilding Brask Danielsen, Arne Clausen, Arnold Rakeng, Willy Skogmann and Elsa Dahl and from Denmark Rut Mäkelä and Eva Hase and from The Netherlands Otto Mulders.